If you’re like most homeowners, home improvement projects keep you up at night. They’re long, costly, and extremely stressful due to the pressure of knowing that whatever you decide to do will have a lasting impact on your family, your budget, and your home. With that in mind, it’s important to choose your changes wisely and to make sure they are impactful in order to get the biggest bang for your buck (so to speak). Here are five home improvement tips that will help you with just that.
A fresh coat of paint is one of the quickest and most impactful changes you can make to your home. It can brighten up a space, make it feel more spacious, and add personality. Plus, it’s a relatively inexpensive way to change the look of your home. When choosing paint colors, think about the feeling you want to create in the space and what will complement your existing furnishings. If you’re not sure where to start, ask for help at your local hardware store or hire a professional painter. You’ll be glad you did!
- Start with a small space. A great way to get started with wallpaper is to begin in a small space, like a powder room or foyer. This way, you can get a feel for the process and see how it will impact your home before committing to a larger project.
- Choose the right paper. There are many different types of wallpaper on the market, so it’s important to choose the right one for your project. If you’re not sure where to start, consult with a professional or visit a local wallpaper store for guidance.
- Prep the walls. Once you’ve selected your wallpaper, prep the walls by removing any old wallpaper and cleaning them thoroughly. Be sure to allow the paint to dry completely before applying the new paper. You may also want to apply some type of sealant if you’re using an especially delicate material.
- Stick and set roller handles. Wallpaper application is easier when using a wallpaper steamer that comes with rollers that have removable handles that stick onto the end of each roller pole when not in use (you’ll need two). To make this easy, be sure to put all rollers into their respective holders at once and ensure they’re properly seated – it’s much more difficult trying to do this step as you go along!
- Apply up-and-down strokes evenly across the wall until you reach the edge.
Heavy drapes can make a room feel stuffy and small. Swap them out for lighter, airy curtains to instantly brighten up the space and make it feel more open. Not to mention, drapes are one of the easiest things to DIY! There’s no need to hire an expensive designer to come in and do all the work. Instead, take some time to figure out what you want your home to look like, then buy or borrow some books from the library on interior design and start planning your next project!
A great way to add color and personality to a room is with a rug. You can find rugs in a variety of colors, patterns, and materials to fit any style. Plus, they help protect your floor and can make a space feel cozier.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right rug:
- -Pick a size that is proportional to the room. A small rug in a large room will get lost, while a large rug in a small room can overwhelm the space.
- -Consider the traffic in the room. A low-pile rug is best for high-traffic areas to prevent crushing and matting.
- -Choose a color or pattern that complements your existing décor.
- -Think about how the rug will feel underfoot. If you have pets, you may want to opt for an anti-static or anti-slip rug pad. Wool rugs offer softness and warmth underfoot, but some people may be allergic to wool fibers. Other options include cotton, synthetic fibers (e.g., nylon), sisal rope, jute, grasscloth or cork mats.
- -Select one that’s comfortable enough for both bare feet and socks if possible. Some people prefer softer textures while others like rough surfaces that provide traction. Consider this as well when deciding on a type of material such as wool or cotton.-Bring samples home so you can walk on them before purchasing anything!
Upgrading your appliances is one of the most impactful changes you can make in your home. Not only will it improve the look of your kitchen or laundry room, but it can also save you money on your energy bills. Plus, newer appliances are often more reliable and easier to use than older models. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right appliances for your home -Match up the size and type of appliances with the layout of your space
- -Research top brands for reliability, durability, and efficiency
- -Pay attention to customer reviews before making a purchase
- -Ask friends or family members who have renovated their kitchens about their favorite brands
- -Shop around for deals at appliance stores near you