If you haven’t already heard, Mina Starsiak Hawk of HGTV’s Good Bones has opened her very own home store, called Sunny Day! Since opening the store in January 2018, Mina has become known for her impeccable taste in interior design, offering products that will complement your home and lifestyle perfectly. Below are some of our favorite products from the store!
How do you get your first client?
In business, the key to success is attracting and retaining customers. But how do you get your first client? For Mina Starsiak Hawk, of HGTV’s ‘Good Bones,’ the answer was simple: good old-fashioned hard work. Before opening Starsiak Home Store in Indianapolis, Indiana with her husband David, Mina would walk through neighborhoods knocking on doors and looking for homeowners who needed design help. I would knock on a door and say ‘Hi, I’m an interior designer,’ said Mina in an interview with Country Living magazine.
I found that people were more likely to invite me in if they knew I could help them. If a homeowner wanted a consultation but didn’t have the budget for design services, Mina would offer free advice instead! Today, this ingenious strategy has helped grow their company into four locations spanning from Indianapolis to Chicago and Nashville with even more locations in the works!
Tips for new sellers
- Before listing your home for sale, make sure you do your research and have a good understanding of the current market conditions.
- Work with a real estate agent who is familiar with your local market and can help you price your home competitively.
- Prepare your home for showings by decluttering and staging it in a way that will appeal to buyers.
- Be flexible with showings and be prepared to negotiate on price.
What should I consider when designing my shop?
- Location is key – you want your store to be in a place that is convenient for your target market.
- Shop size – think about how much space you will need to showcase your products and allow for customer traffic flow.
- Product mix – consider what types of products you will carry and how they will be displayed.
- Lighting – create a warm and inviting atmosphere with the right lighting.
- branding – make sure your store reflects your brand identity and attracts your ideal customer.
How do I get my products onto Etsy?
Etsy is a great platform for selling handmade or vintage items, as well as art and craft supplies. If you’re looking to get your products onto Etsy, here are a few tips
1) Make sure you have at least 5 reviews before uploading your first listing.
2) Read the guidelines and don’t break any rules (e.g., don’t list prohibited items).
3) Get good photos that show detail and don’t use stock images (or make sure they follow the rules).
4) Create tags that describe your product accurately so buyers can find it in search. For example, if you create a t-shirt with Geek on it, then tag it geek.
5) List your item in different categories such as jewelry, crafts and clothing to ensure potential customers see it.
What was opening weekend like?
Mina Starsiak Hawk, of the hugely popular show Good Bones on HGTV, just opened up her own home store this past weekend! The store offers a variety of items for the home, including furniture, décor, and more. Hawk says that the idea for the store came about because she wanted to provide her fans with a one-stop shop for all their home needs. The opening weekend was a huge success, with people lined up around the block to get a chance to shop at the new store.